December Recipe: Vegan Lentil Chili
Pulses, like lentils, are full of fiber, resistant starch, and phenolic compounds that help support healthy gut bacteria. Research also found that eating foods with dietary fiber decrease risk of colon cancer and weight gain.
Vegan Lentil Chili
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups brown or green lentils
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ox) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 3 tbsp cilantro, minced
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally,about 5 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin cocoa powder, cinnamon, and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, lentils, and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat so that the mixture is simmering. Partially cover the saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro. Serve.
Recipe adapted from: Cookin Canuck