August Recipe: Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
As the summer months come to an end, you may be looking for a salad or side dish to bring to an end of season cookout. Try out this quick and easy Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad that requires minimal preparation and just a few ingredients!
This salad contains cruciferous vegetables (broccoli and cauliflower) which are linked to decreasing bodily inflammation and lowering risk of lung and colorectal cancer. Cruciferous vegetables are made up of many beneficial vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E, C, K, folate and beta-carotene. It is crucial to consume adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals for development, cell repair, and to boost our immune systems.
BROCCOLI & CAULIFLOWER SALAD
Ingredients for the salad:
- 2 cups broccoli florets, diced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, sliced in half
- ¼ cup roasted and salted almonds (or walnuts) roughly chopped
Ingredients for the dressing:
- ½ cup 2% Greek yogurt
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Mix together the diced broccoli, cauliflower, red onion, grapes, and almonds in a mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, measure out and combine the Greek yogurt, light mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, honey, salt and black pepper. Whisk until fully combined.
- Add the dressing to the bowl with the salad and toss until the salad is fully coated.
- Chill the salad in the refrigerator for 30 mins and serve
Recipe adapted from: Hummusapien