July Recipe: Red, White & Blue Layered Dessert
Did you know that eating high-quality protein sources can help cancer patients heal tissues, maintain muscle and keep the immune system strong? If you are a cancer patient, consider adding healthy sources of protein to each of your meals! Protein is especially important to our bodies after surgery, radiation and chemotherapy.
Greek yogurt is a great source of protein and healthy fat! Just a ½ cup (4 oz) of Greek yogurt can contain up to 12 grams of protein. If you are looking for a healthy dessert this summer or for a dish to bring to a Fourth of July cookout, try this high protein red, white and blue layered dessert!
RED, WHITE & BLUE LAYERED DESSERT
- 2 cups (16 oz) 2% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2, 1 oz packages instant sugar-free Jell-O cheesecake pudding
- 2 TBSP milk or non-dairy milk
- 2 cups strawberries, washed and sliced in half
- 2 cups blueberries, washed
- Measure out 2 cups (16 oz) of 2% fat plain Greek yogurt into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Pour 2, 1 oz packages of instant sugar-free Jell-O cheesecake pudding into the bowl with the Greek yogurt and mix with a spatula until combined.
- Add 2 tablespoons of milk or non-dairy milk to the pudding mixture for a thinner consistency and then place the mixture in the fridge to cool.
- While the pudding is cooling, wash the blueberries and strawberries. Then, slice the strawberries in half.
- Layer the dessert by first placing 1/3 of the pudding mixture in a clear bowl, then place strawberries and blueberries on top of the pudding. Repeat again and place the rest of the pudding mixture on top.
- Lastly, place the remaining blueberries and strawberries in the pattern pictured.
- Optional: add pistachios, almonds, chia seeds or walnuts on top for an added crunch and for more protein and fiber!
- Note: Consuming foods high in dietary fiber has been linked to reducing the risk of gastrointestinal cancer.