Cinco de Mayo Recipe: Lentil Tacos
Cinco de Mayo has us craving Mexican cuisine… and maybe a margarita or two!
Looking to do the cooking yourself? Good for you! Our dietitians recommend plant-based recipes for a healthy twist on Cinco de Mayo. Plant-based meals are delicious AND they provide vital protein and cancer fighting nutrients.
Consuming a lot of plant foods has been found to reduce your risk of cancer. This means adding in plant-based proteins on a regular basis can help to lower your risk of cancer. Plant-based proteins are beans, legumes, nuts and seeds. Legumes may improve blood pressure, reduce cholesterol, and lower heart disease risk. This dish is a great take on a holiday favorite and includes plant-based protein.
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2-½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 12 corn taco shells
- 1-½ cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1-½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- In a large nonstick pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, sauté until tender.
- Add lentils, seasoning, and broth, stir until well mixed. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer under lentils are covered (25-30 minutes).
- Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens (6-8 minutes).
- Slightly mash lentils, stir in salsa, and heat mixture.
- Serve lentils in taco shells. Add toppings as desired.
Recipe adapted from: Tasty Lentil Tacos Recipe: How to Make It | Taste of Home